COVID19 has completely altered our lives for the last 9 months, and doesn’t seem to have quite run out of steam. Infections are on the rise, death tolls mount, and we still have many opinions about how we should respond? Do we stay inside to keep from possibly harming another person? Or do we continue to call for shut-ins and shut-downs that bring untold damage psychologically, emotionally, and financially to people who are unable to make a living or have connection with others?
In record speed, however, several companies have produced at a vaccine. This is an amazing feat even by modern standards, and some will start receiving it within days or weeks. There is still a bit of question over who will take it. Many are ready as it will begin to allow them to feel safe and normal again. Others are skeptical of being told they must be vaccinated, remain unafraid of the Coronavirus overall. To Vaccinate or not, that is the question…
While I do not have a fully formed opinion, I tend to hesitate at the idea of any forced vaccinations. I will keep reading and learning, but my real point has nothing to do with COVID19 other than to use this as an illustration.
PDT said in today’s devotional, “The baby in the manger came to tell us the worst news ever, because until we can accept the worst news ever, we’ll never want the best news ever. (December 12, O Come Let Us Adore Him.)
I wrote on this theme a few days back, and I made quite the pitch on how terribly sinful we are. Hope I didn’t hurt your feelings… I will seek to be a little more succinct today, but still quite direct.
Humanity is sick. Fatally sick. We have a virus that has continually spread to each new born child since as long as we can remember babies being born. There is apparently a highly contagious viral pathogen that impacts each child in the womb so they are born with a deadly disease that attacks the whole being but especially the heart and mind.
Humanity is dying from a fatal infection known as SIN! Like an unseen virus, it has been passed on and spread through all of humanity for years on end. Many people do not realize that they have it, or deny they have it, or minimize how dangerous and deadly this little invisible virus is to the existence. Many live as if they are immune and immortal.
How do you know if you are infected?
- You are alive and breathing, therefore assume you have the sin virus. “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
- You struggle with selfish tendencies and really like to have things “your way.”
- You feel a distance and separation between you and God.
- You find that relationships are not always easy.
- You sometimes do things that you know you shouldn’t do, but you just can’t seem to stop yourself.
- You deal with many negative emotions such as fear, anger, anxiety, grief, guilt, and shame.
- You like to hide your mistakes from other people for fear of embarrassment or shame.
- You do not like to admit you are wrong, but would far rather have someone else to blame.
- You struggle with jealousy, insecurity, frustration, greed, etc.
- You find it can be a struggle to be consistent in prayer and Bible study, worship, taking time for solitude, and connecting with God – while it seems easy to read a book, exercise, call a friend, eat too much, watch Netflix, spend money, etc.
- You lack peace. No matter how hard you try you always seem to come up short of finding peace.
- You struggle with a hard heart that can feel weighed down with fear, anxiety, resentment and bitterness, jealousy, pride, anger, rage, etc. The Sin Virus wreaks havoc on the human heart.
- You ever get sick, get injured, or have a body that will ultimately age – first slowing down and then ceasing to be alive…
I could go on and share many more symptoms, cite case studies, and refer to the Medical Manual (God’s Word), but I assume you may have a few of those symptoms currently. You need to know that left untreated, the SIN virus has destroyed relationships, created addiction problems, produced large level pride and ego, created severe depression and loss of hope, accounted for great lack of meaning and purpose, destroyed intimacy, and ends in extreme torment where one feels eternally separated from God, damned, forsaken, and hopeless. While it’s effects are not always initially recognized by the patient, the end result of the disease is very unpleasant and devastating.
There is really good news on this front in the fight to find an answer to this spiritual pandemic of sin. There was a sinless host who lived in the modern day state of Israel around 2000 years ago. He is the only known human to never have contracted the Sin Virus. Thankfully HIS FATHER knew His Son’s immunity against SIN and they were able to develop a Vaccine by gathering large samples of the Son’s blood. It has the rare ability to not only create immunity from the deadly effects of sin, but when applied fully and properly, it can completely neutralize and destroy the Virus.
THERE IS A VACCINE. The Great Physician has declared that there is a global scale emergency and is calling everyone to take the Vaccine for their safety and the safety of those around them. The Vaccine has been made completely free by the benevolence of a very generous donor.
Directions for Acquiring the Vaccine:
- Check for symptoms. It will be obvious that you are infected with sin.
- Deal with any denial that says you are fine and healthy, and do not need help.
- Be convinced that apart from the Vaccine, you will die in your sin. Sin will spread slowly and surely over time…
- Hit your knees and call on the Great Physician Jesus Christ (see suggested request when talking to the Healer about your need for the Vaccine and desire to get well).
- Suggested phrases to talk to the Lord Jesus, the Great Physician about:
- He loves it when you come in humility and gratitude.
- He is not conceited, but it is always a great idea to Praise Him. When you see Him, it will make perfect sense as to why.
- Humbly acknowledge your infection with sin, and share with the doctor of how you have seen the Sin Virus disrupt your life.
- Tell Him you believe that He alone has the ability to save you through His care and administering the Vaccine.
- Ask Him to take the blood of Jesus and apply it to your life. By faith, Ask Him to rescue and save you from this dreaded disease, and then fully believe in His power to heal you.
- Ask Jesus for a new heart – to take out the old heart of stone that is hard to God, weighed down by sin, and to give you a heart of flesh that is soft and fully alive to God.
- Thank Him for the Cure to your fatal condition; thanking for forgiveness, for grace, for defeating sin, for peace, for love, for healing.
- Spend some moments in worship and praise as it seems to increase the blood flow of Jesus in your heart and spirit, and allows the Spirit’s work to more fully engage the power of the vaccine.
- It is suggested you read the Medical Manual (Scripture) to discover more insight into maintaining spiritual, mental and emotional health, and discovering tips to deal with any lingering effects of the virus.
- Do not be discouraged if you still notice symptoms. You are recovering from a very disabling and dangerous disease. Once you have the blood of Jesus to cover and cleanse you, it is 100% effective in every trial for complete eternal restoration to full health. Please keep calling upon the doctor so he may guide you in the recovery process.
The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. ~ Romans 6:23
“Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” ~ Jeremiah 7:14
“”He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” ~ 1 Peter 2:24
“I have seen their ways, but I will heal them; I will guide them and restore comfort to Israel’s mourners, creating praise on their lips. Peace, peace, to those far and near,” says the LORD. “And I will heal them.” ~ Isaiah 57:18-19
“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.” ~ James 5:6
- Go up to Point 5 on Suggested Phrases to talk to the Lord Jesus about, and use those thoughts to form your own prayer.
- Spend some time soaking in worship to one of these songs.
These devotions are inspired by Paul David Tripp (PDT) from his devotional O Come Let us Adore Him.